Control Panel Integration
'cPanel is a graphical web-based control panel that helps you quickly and easily manage your website and hosting account.' ~ cpanel.com
Note:Control Panel Support has changed significantly as of Ubersmith 3.0.0. Please review this document to ensure an understanding of the changes and how it may affect current use of cPanel and Ubersmith.
Ubersmith's support for third party Control Panel software allows system administrators to manage hosting accounts without needing to leave Ubersmith. Ubersmith can also automate the deployment of new accounts across multiple Control Panel servers based on predefined criteria. New Control Panel hosts can be added at any time, and new accounts can be deployed to these hosts automatically. Individual hosting accounts can be suspended or deleted automatically (and manually) by Ubersmith, based on the status associated client services.
For the purposes of this documentation, the majority of the examples will use the cPanel/WHM software as an example.
Configuring the Device Manager
In order to take advantage of Ubersmith's Control Panel Host integration capabilities, Control Panel Hosts will need to be added to Ubersmith's Device Manager. Follow these steps to configure the Device Manager.
- Click the 'setup & admin' button, in the upper right hand corner of the Ubersmith interface.
- Click the 'Device Types' link, in the 'Device Manager' section.
- If there isn't already have a device type group for 'Control Panel Hosts' (or similar), click 'Add New Device Type Group'.
- Give the group a name, 'e.g. Control Panel Hosts', and click 'Save'.
With the group created, individual device types can be added for supported Control Panel software. In this example, types have been added for cPanel/WHM, DirectAdmin, and Interworx.
- Click the 'add type' link for the newly created Device Type Group.
- Enter a name appropriate for the software supported, e.g. 'cPanel Host'.
- Click 'Save', repeating these steps for any additional types required.
With the appropriate Device Type Group and Device Type(s) configured, the next step is to add a Device Module that will expand the capabilties of new devices added to Ubersmith.
- Click the 'modules' link for the Device Type Group previously added.
- Click 'add module'.
- From the 'Module' drop down, choose 'Control Panel Host'.
- There are no configuration options for this module, so click 'Save'.
The Device Manager is now configured to support Control Panel Host Devices. New Control Panel devices are added from within the Device Manager.
Add a new Control Panel Host device
- Click the 'Device Manager' button, in the upper center of the Ubersmith interface.
- Click 'Add a New Device' in the orange bar
- Enter at least a label and description for the new device.
- Choose one of the newly created Device Types from the 'Type:' drop down.
- Click 'Save'.
Configure the Control Panel Host device module
You will be redirected to the newly created device. In the right hand column, there will be an entry for the 'Control Panel Host' device module. A message will indicate 'Control Panel Host not configured'.
- Click the 'edit' link within the Control Panel Host device module section.
- Choose the appropriate platform from the 'Software' dropdown.
- Enter or select the Control Panel Host's Hostname or IP address from the 'Hostname/IP'.
- Enter the username and password used to connect to the Control Panel Host in the 'Username' and 'Password' fields, respectively.
- Select 'Yes' from the 'Available for Account Provisioning' dropdown.
- Click 'Save'.
Review the tooltips on the 'Control Panel Host' popup for additional details. Barring any complications, the Control Panel Host module should display some useful details about the Control Panel Host. If error message is returned upon clicking 'Save' that requires further troubleshooting, please contact Ubersmith Support for assistance.
At this point, it's possible to manually create an account on the Control Panel Host. This may be a good test to ensure that the module is configured properly.
- Click the 'create account' link in the Control Panel Host device module section.
- Fill in the fields as if creating a new account directly from the Control Panel software's management interface.
- Note that choosing a 'Package' (if supported) will use the options defined for that Package, and will hide the individual options for the account.
- Click 'Create'.
Ubersmith will create the new account on the Control Panel Host. To see a listing of all the accounts on the host, click the 'Show Accounts' link at the bottome of the Control Panel Host device module section. If all has gone well up until this point, it's now possible to automate the creation of new virtual hosting accounts across your Control Panel Hosts. See the 'Control Panel Account Manager' article below for more information on automated management of Control Panel-based hosting accounts.
Repeat the steps above (device addition, Control Panel Host device module configuration) for any other hosts that Ubersmith should manage.
Ubersmith DE 2.x
below are the deprecated instructions for configuring Control Panel in Ubersmith DE version 2
To add a control panel host for use by Ubersmith, click on the 'Manage Control Panels' link in the 'Global Settings' section of 'setup & admin'. To add a new host, click the 'Add New Control Panel Host' link. This will open a popup, which will require you to add some information.
This is a name you will use to reference the host within Ubersmith. Usually a short name, or perhaps the first part of the hostname will be enough.
Currently, Ubersmith only supports the cPanel/WHM control panel software. This is the only type you can currently select.
This is the IP address or hostname for the server. Do not include 'http://' or other protocols preceding the IP address or hostname.
Specify how long Ubersmith should wait for a response from the control panel host. If your control panel host is particulary busy, or is at a remote facility, increasing this timeout may be necessary.
cPanel / WHM
Check this box if you would only hold a reseller account on the server, and are not the owner of the host.
This is the username you plan to use to connect to the cPanel/WHM API. The username is typically root .
Remote Access Key
The Remove Access Key is generated within the WHM interface. Paste the complete key into this text area. The key allows Ubersmith to communicate with your cPanel host.
Once this information has been added, you can click 'Save' to add the new host, or 'Save and New' to add another. If you wish to discard the information, you can click 'Close'.