Uber celebrates World IPv6 Day
Along with many others today, we're excited to participate in the IPv6 Test Flight on www.ubersmith.com.
For years now, Ubersmith itself has supported IPv6 within our IP Address Management feature set. When we would talk about IPv6 in sales calls over the last few years, it was almost always perceived as more of a novelty than a real feature; kind of like saying we offer alien invasion protection. We all know it's bound to happen, but likely not in our lifetime, right?
Intergalactic matters aside, we have seen an uptick in both support requests and new customers alike regarding IPv6. The good news is that they're handled in the same way you've been using IPv4 assignments in Ubersmith already:
- IPv4 and IPv6 addresses and assignments coexist seamlessly for all clients, services and devices.
- Auto IP allocation out of admin defined pools and blocks.
- Location aware auto-assignments, allowing you auto-assign only certain pools in certain facilities.
- Recognition of single IPs, CIDR notation and ranges.
- Integrated IP address usage reporting with a built in RWHOIS server (excellent for ARIN).
- Support for client-level allocations, which can be reused as their infrastructure changes over time.
- Server health monitoring checks over both IPv4 and IPv6
We're excited that the World IPv6 Day test has finally arrived, and we're looking forward to the next couple years as it starts to become more of a reality.